Thursday, February 22, 2007

What is security?

In the last week, our church campus has had some minor but extensive vandalism, and a smash-and-grab car breakin. The vandalism occurred on a Saturday night, and was clearly high energy gone wrong: a broken window, overturned picnic tables, small fire, etc. The breakin happened during our Fat Tuesday celebration: a broken window, a stolen purse.
 
After the smash-and-grab, the officer who took the report told us there had been a number of these things in our area, mostly at the churches and community center. No hate; just sin. She advised us to get an alarm system for the campus, which of course would do nothing for cars, but might protect equipment and provide peace of mind.
 
The campus has been vandalized before, and there have been break-ins before.  For the first time, I've contacted alarm companies.  I don't know why. I don't feel unsafe. And I don't feel targeted. But somehow this time it felt prudent.
 
Prudent.  My husband the not-senior-pastor reminds me that our community may not be called to be prudent.  A lot of recovery groups use our campus: what would it mean to have alarms on the space? What would it feel like to the Jesus followers we're trying to develop to require that they know a code to use His campus? (And, can you find it hidden in Revelation or the Mona Lisa?)
 
He challenges me to think of ways to outreach to the community, and model vulnerability and welcome. I'm thinking about my fiduciary duty to the corporation to advise and secure its property.
 
But it's the Lord's property. I believe that with my whole heart. And what is security, other than God's love?
 
"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

No comments: