Monday, February 26, 2007

Lenten meditations

I've been writing Lenten meditations for anyone who wants to receive them, as I have the last two years.  I thought I'd post them here too from time to time; you can sign up for them at Google Groups -- the group is "Course Corrections".
 
 
If we actually begin living as if the kingdom of God is at hand, or if we live as if living into heaven, our lives will change.  One of the changes that may come is estrangement from those who knew us "before".  In the same way an addict may lose all his friends when he gets clean, the one who aims for God's better world may have trouble retaining those who are content with the vainglories of this world.
 
Jesus warned of this. He knew that taking a different road might change one's traveling companions.  "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." (Luke 12:51-53)
 
An African-American spiritual speaks of this -- the living for God's kingdom and the division it brings:
 
I am a poor pilgrim of sorrow, I'm tossed in this wild world alone,
No hope have I for tomorrow, I've started to make heav'n my home.
Sometimes I am tossed and driven, Lord, sometimes I don't know where to roam.
I've heard of a city called heaven, I've started to make it my home.
 
My mother has reached that pure glory, my father's still walking in sin,
My brothers and sisters won't own me, because I am tryin' to get in.
Sometimes I am tossed and driven, Lord, sometimes I don't know where to roam,
I've heard of a city called heaven, I've started to make it my home.
 
The first challenge for Jesus followers is to begin to make heaven our home, right now.  That is -- to live as if this were God's kingdom, as if God were in charge now. Once we start making heaven our home, the desires of this world seem paltry indeed. But the continuing struggle may be not only within our own living, but in living with others in this foreign "home". 
 
Prayer:
God, you have made heaven my true home. I long to live in your kingdom, to behold your glory, and to witness the union of your children and creation.  This world is often a mere shadow of what will be, and I yearn to keep my eyes focused beyond this.  But I love my husband, my wife, my brother and sister. Help me to keep your kingdom as my true home, and to love those who hearts don't yet see your promise. Help me keep to my path, and keep my hand open to others who might wish to travel with me. Keep me roaming toward you. Amen.
 
 

No comments: