Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When snark sneaks out

On Sunday, in the middle of an impassioned plea for help to Haiti, the speaker disparaged American systems of emergency aid. It was a sarcastic side comment, irrelevant to the topic, and it made me wince.

I winced not only because it was unnecessarily negative, and not just because it weakened the overall message, which was so important.  I winced because I could imagine myself doing the same thing. Different topics, different audiences, sure, but my inner snark sneaks out more often than I'd like.  This speaker's slip was showing, exposing my tawdry undergarments in the process.

Honestly, I don't know why I do it.  The speaker I heard has a lot of built-up anger and resentment, and it often spills out in negativity.  Is that me, too?  Or is it something else: some demonic possession of my tongue, snaking my words through paths of unkindness. It doesn't matter: I don't want it anymore.

Lord, whatever it is that causes negativity in me, help me find it. Lord, when I find it, help me understand it. Then, dear One, help me forgive others and myself, and, please, if you can't heal it, crush it.

1 comment:

Simon said...

The Apostle Paul was uncompromising on the truth, but his sensitive side also shows up in his writings. In our busy, self-centred world, we need to remember those who have made a difference in our lives, and when they come to mind, pray for them, and find a way to say ‘thank you.’

Establish and increase your faith carefully choosing the Biblical values against which all of life is judged. Yes, you are human, and you will struggle with situations which demand that you choose between what you want to do and what you ought to do. Walk with God and maintain your integrity, and you will be able to make the right choice every time. Visit http://simon.weston.over-blog.net/ and may God richly bless you!