Monday, October 23, 2006

God cheats

Last night, we had a wonderful, Spirit-led worship experience led by Kathleen Fagre (http://www.kathleenfagre.com). This morning I received an email from one of the people who attended, which (with permission) I needed to share with you.

I've changed some names and identifying marks, but you'll probably recognize yourself anyway...

So there I am, well out of the circle, just so I can stand up to sing, nothing to do with picking up extra space between me and all those people of course, singing away on the last song, eyes closed ...
"May the journey be a blessing, may I rise on wings of love"
...and whump! all of a sudden my arms are full of another worshipper, weeping violently.

Now we have observed before that mercy gifts are not the dominant part of my makeup and I have generally not (never if I could help it) been the person found holding anyone weeping violently. But I can't exactly kick her away either, especially not when I'm right in the middle of asking God for an increased resemblance.

So I did the only thing I could think of and prayed the song over her as strongly as I could, changed the pronouns on the last verse and tried to bring it home to her, and for a few moments anyway, saw God in her face quite clearly.

But God definitely cheats. And telling Her so makes for a remarkably unproductive conversation.

No comments: