Friday, September 03, 2010

The challenge of returning

I've been at Mercy Center for 26 hours now, reading, reflecting, resting, walking, waiting. All good; in fact, a taste of what I thought these thirteen weeks would be like 24/7.

Notice I wrote "thirteen" as if it were over.  Ah, there's the rub, to quote a text often confused with the Bible, for with more than a week left I am already distracted by the details of my job. Logos and signage. Sermon titles. Possible class offerings. Who might need a call. Staff meetings.   How easy it is for me to get distracted from my vocation (following Jesus) by my profession (leading a church).  It's an old struggle, but at least today I recognize it for the foolishness it is, and know, deeply, what it is to value the vocation over the profession.

The challenge of the next days is to keep my mind and heart here and now: reading, reflecting, resting, walking, waiting. Playing with Beautiful Daughter. Supporting and loving Wonderful Husband. Re-membering.

The challenge of returning to the church is keeping the vocation in front of the profession. Wish me grace and memory.

No comments: