Monday, February 21, 2005

Holy days and weeks

I have a longing for an experience of Holy Week (the week from Palm/Passion Sunday to Easter) that enraptures all senses and soul. Lent is a long leadup -- forty days of preparation by trying to pay attention to my relationship with God and others. But that last week I want to feel down to the marrow of my bones.

I don't think I'm alone. I think that's why people flocked to The Passion -- not because it was a good movie or said anything particularly profound -- to feel something. We get so jaded. It's like during the holidays when you're constantly overeating: food has to be stellar or weird to even get you to notice. We're inundated. And our God-journey can be such a distant, intellectual thing. We crave caring about it, feeling it as deeply and as overwhelmingly as we can.

Down in the bones. Beyond the bones. Wherever beyond the bones is -- that's where we long to feel God.

That's where I long to feel God. And 4/4 9.8.9.8.99 hymns don't do it for me anymore. Probably the feeling is mutual.

I pray others want to do this too, and that God leads us to each other.

Elane

No comments: